Subject: MinGW CI tasks fail / timeout

From: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2026 17:40:32 +0300

Hi,

I noticed that MinGW CI tasks are currently failing and timing out
[1]. It appears that this started after the IPC::Run package was
updated on the MinGW CI image from: 'NJM/IPC-Run-20250809.0.tar.gz' to
'TODDR/IPC-Run-20260322.0.tar.gz' [2]. If I explicitly install
NJM/IPC-Run-20250809.0.tar.gz, then MinGW CI passes again [3].

I guess this PR [4] is responsible for the failures but I am not sure
about the fix so I wanted to bring that topic to -hackers.

[1]
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6622468279894016 (I run only the first
failing test to get logs)
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6735321162842112
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6454511536963584

[2]
Build of MinGW image before 26 March:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6096120272650240?logs=build_image#L915
Latest build of MinGW image on 26 March 2026 00:58:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6476947640811520?logs=build_image#L905

[3] https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6574128355868672

[4] https://github.com/cpan-authors/IPC-Run/pull/192

-- 
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Microsoft

---

From: Jacob Champion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2026 14:00:47 -0700

On Thu, Mar 26, 2026 at 7:46 AM Andres Freund <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Feels somewhat crazy to just make a compatibility breaking change like that in
> IPC::Run?

Looks like as of two weeks ago, IPC::Run is under somewhat new management?

--Jacob

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2026 17:12:42 -0400

> Looks like as of two weeks ago, IPC::Run is under somewhat new management?

Looks to me more like the old manager getting active again.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 18:54:20 +0300

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Mar 2026 at 17:46, Andres Freund <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 2026-03-26 17:40:32 +0300, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
> FWIW, to mitigate the impact I've for now disabled running the mingw tests on
> the cfbot and postgres repos. That's obviously not a real fix, but it seemed
> better than spuriously failing all CF entries.

The version of IPC::Run is pinned to 'NJM/IPC-Run-20250809.0' on the
MinGW image [1]. I tested the new MinGW image and confirmed that CI
passes [2]. I think we can re-enable the MinGW CI task on the CFBot
and Postgres repos.

[1] https://github.com/anarazel/pg-vm-images/pull/139
[2] https://cirrus-ci.com/build/4605203913113600

-- 
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Microsoft

---

From: Jacob Champion <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 09:09:25 -0700

> passes [2]. I think we can re-enable the MinGW CI task on the CFBot

Thank you! I opened a draft PR to pin the other versions as well;
let's see what the CI thinks...

--Jacob