Subject: [PATCH][DOC][MINOR] Fix incorrect lexeme limit in textsearch docs

From: Dharin Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2025 22:09:14 +0100

Hello,

A minor doc patch for this page
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/textsearch-limitations.html
and this line

*- The number of lexemes must be less than 2^64*

Docs wrongly claim "lexemes must be < 2^64" but the actual constraint is
1 MB total storage (MAXSTRPOS), and no 2^64 check exists in the code.

---

From: surya poondla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2026 14:01:10 -0800

Hi Dharin,

I looked at your patch, it looks good.

In the code, I couldn’t find any 2^64 bound on the lexeme count, so
removing that makes sense.
The added sentence about distinct lexeme count seems to overlap with the
existing description of tsvector limits, so I’m not sure it adds much new
information.

-Surya Poondla

---

From: Aditya Gollamudi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2026 01:35:40 -0800

> existing description of tsvector limits, so I’m not sure it adds much new

 +1 on this patch, I was also a bit confused on this part of the
documentation. All I could conclude was that the number of lexemes in a
tsvector was limited by existing tsvector limits. I agree with Surya's
comment about the overlap, I think this patch should only remove the line
about the 2^64 bound. Patch applies cleanly!

Adi Gollamudi

---

From: Dharin Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2026 23:48:18 +0100

Sorry to drop the ball on this, will get back to cleaning it up and create
a new patch

Thanks,
Dharin

On Thu, Mar 26, 2026 at 11:02 PM Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Aditya Gollamudi <[email-masked]> writes:
> What I'm inclined to do is just drop that <listitem> entirely,
> since it's implied by the 1MB space limit.  The patch as-submitted
> accomplishes about the same thing, but takes more words to do it.
>
>                         regards, tom lane
>