Subject: pgsql: Consolidate docs for vacuum-related GUCs in new subsection

From: Melanie Plageman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 23:22:56 +0000

Consolidate docs for vacuum-related GUCs in new subsection

GUCs related to vacuum's freezing behavior were documented in a
subsection of the Client Connection Defaults documentation. These GUCs
don't belong there, as they affect the freezing behavior of all vacuums
-- including autovacuums.

There wasn't a clear alternative location, so this commit makes a new
"Server Configuration" docs subsection, "Vacuuming", with a subsection
for "Freezing". It also moves the "Automatic Vacuuming" subsection and
the docs on GUCs controlling cost-based vacuum delay under the new
"Vacuuming" subsection.

The other vacuum-related GUCs under the "Resource Consumption"
subsection have been left in their current location, as they seem to fit
there.

The GUCs' documentation was largely lifted and shifted. The only
modification made was the addition of a few missing <literal> tags.

Reviewed-by: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/flat/CAAKRu_aQUOaMYrcjNuXeSkJtaX9oRUzKP57bsYbC0gVVWS%2BcbA%40mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ca9c6a5680d7c7dece0f7209ee7ce20c9dfe0840

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml | 1254 ++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
1 file changed, 643 insertions(+), 611 deletions(-)

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2025 10:02:50 +0100

> Consolidate docs for vacuum-related GUCs in new subsection

Hmm, doesn't this need a corresponding rearrangement of the
postgresql.conf.sample file and the GUC grouping in guc_tables.c/h?

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Los cuentos de hadas no dan al niño su primera idea sobre los monstruos.
Lo que le dan es su primera idea de la posible derrota del monstruo."
                                                   (G. K. Chesterton)