Subject: Re: DOCS - Add introductory paragraph to Getting Started chapter

From: Dapeng Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2026 09:05:41 +0800

Hi,

Following up on Tom's suggestion that Chapters 2 and 3 of the
tutorial likewise lack introductory paragraphs, I've attached a
patch that adds them.

Chapter 2 (The SQL Language) gets a paragraph summarizing tables,
queries, joins, aggregates, and data modification.

Chapter 3 (Advanced Features) gets a paragraph summarizing views,
foreign keys, transactions, window functions, and inheritance.

Regards,
Dapeng Wang

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2026 14:55:34 +0200

> tutorial likewise lack introductory paragraphs, I've attached a
Thanks for the contribution!

In the future use "Reply all" and figure out why your email client did 
not add a proper Reply-To header.

-- 
Andreas Karlsson
Percona

---

From: Dapeng Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 08:36:55 +0800

Thanks Andreas! Noted - I didn't have the original thread
in my mailbox at the time, but I'm subscribed now so future
replies will thread properly.

Regards,
Dapeng Wang

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 02:40:33 +0200

> replies will thread properly.

I see! Then the general recommendation is to use the re-send email 
button in our mailing list archives. I know it was buggy some time ago 
but I think it has been fixed now.

Andreas

---

From: Dapeng Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 08:47:04 +0800

Good to know, thanks! I'll use the resend email button next time.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2026 20:47:37 -0400

> but I think it has been fixed now.

Yeah, I use that all the time when I want to reply to some old
thread that I no longer have locally.  It's been flaky once or
twice for me, but normally it works fine.

A more pressing problem is that this iteration of the thread
isn't attached to the CF entry; you need to do that so that
it shows up as having current traffic.  Right now,

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/patch/6506/

still shows the 19-Feb patch as current.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Dapeng Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 09:03:54 +0800

Done - I've attached the new thread to the CF entry.

Regards,
Dapeng Wang

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2026 20:03:55 +0200

> tutorial likewise lack introductory paragraphs, I've attached a

In each of these chapters, the first section is titled "Introduction" 
and the first sentence introduces the chapter.  So the text you are 
proposing to add here appears to be redundant with that.