Subject: [PATCH] Shrink GISTSTATE

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 15:11:35 +0200

---
 src/backend/access/gist/gist.c      | 58 ++++++++++++++---------------
 src/backend/access/gist/gistscan.c  |  4 +-
 src/backend/access/gist/gistsplit.c | 12 +++---
 src/backend/access/gist/gistutil.c  | 38 +++++++++----------
 src/include/access/gist_private.h   | 29 +++++++++------
 5 files changed, 71 insertions(+), 70 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/backend/access/gist/gist.c b/src/backend/access/gist/gist.c
index 0683f42c25..8bccb76dd2 100644
--- a/src/backend/access/gist/gist.c
+++ b/src/backend/access/gist/gist.c
@@ -1507,11 +1507,6 @@ initGISTstate(Relation index)
 	MemoryContext oldCxt;
 	int			i;
 
-	/* safety check to protect fixed-size arrays in GISTSTATE */
-	if (index->rd_att->natts > INDEX_MAX_KEYS)
-		elog(ERROR, "numberOfAttributes %d > %d",
-			 index->rd_att->natts, INDEX_MAX_KEYS);
-
 	/* Create the memory context that will hold the GISTSTATE */
 	scanCxt = AllocSetContextCreate(CurrentMemoryContext,
 									"GiST scan context",
@@ -1519,7 +1514,8 @@ initGISTstate(Relation index)
 	oldCxt = MemoryContextSwitchTo(scanCxt);
 
 	/* Create and fill in the GISTSTATE */
-	giststate = (GISTSTATE *) palloc(sizeof(GISTSTATE));
+	giststate = (GISTSTATE *) palloc(offsetof(GISTSTATE, column_state) +
+									 sizeof(GIST_COL_STATE) * index->rd_att->natts);
 
 	giststate->scanCxt = scanCxt;
 	giststate->tempCxt = scanCxt;	/* caller must change this if needed */
@@ -1541,54 +1537,54 @@ initGISTstate(Relation index)
 
 	for (i = 0; i < IndexRelationGetNumberOfKeyAttributes(index); i++)
 	{
-		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->consistentFn[i]),
+		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].consistentFn),
 					   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_CONSISTENT_PROC),
 					   scanCxt);
-		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->unionFn[i]),
+		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].unionFn),
 					   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_UNION_PROC),
 					   scanCxt);
 
 		/* opclasses are not required to provide a Compress method */
 		if (OidIsValid(index_getprocid(index, i + 1, GIST_COMPRESS_PROC)))
-			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->compressFn[i]),
+			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].compressFn),
 						   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_COMPRESS_PROC),
 						   scanCxt);
 		else
-			giststate->compressFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+			giststate->column_state[i].compressFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
 
 		/* opclasses are not required to provide a Decompress method */
 		if (OidIsValid(index_getprocid(index, i + 1, GIST_DECOMPRESS_PROC)))
-			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->decompressFn[i]),
+			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].decompressFn),
 						   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_DECOMPRESS_PROC),
 						   scanCxt);
 		else
-			giststate->decompressFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+			giststate->column_state[i].decompressFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
 
-		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->penaltyFn[i]),
+		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].penaltyFn),
 					   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_PENALTY_PROC),
 					   scanCxt);
-		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->picksplitFn[i]),
+		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].picksplitFn),
 					   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_PICKSPLIT_PROC),
 					   scanCxt);
-		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->equalFn[i]),
+		fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].equalFn),
 					   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_EQUAL_PROC),
 					   scanCxt);
 
 		/* opclasses are not required to provide a Distance method */
 		if (OidIsValid(index_getprocid(index, i + 1, GIST_DISTANCE_PROC)))
-			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->distanceFn[i]),
+			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].distanceFn),
 						   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_DISTANCE_PROC),
 						   scanCxt);
 		else
-			giststate->distanceFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+			giststate->column_state[i].distanceFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
 
 		/* opclasses are not required to provide a Fetch method */
 		if (OidIsValid(index_getprocid(index, i + 1, GIST_FETCH_PROC)))
-			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->fetchFn[i]),
+			fmgr_info_copy(&(giststate->column_state[i].fetchFn),
 						   index_getprocinfo(index, i + 1, GIST_FETCH_PROC),
 						   scanCxt);
 		else
-			giststate->fetchFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+			giststate->column_state[i].fetchFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
 
 		/*
 		 * If the index column has a specified collation, we should honor that
@@ -1602,24 +1598,24 @@ initGISTstate(Relation index)
 		 * any cases where a GiST storage type has a nondefault collation.)
 		 */
 		if (OidIsValid(index->rd_indcollation[i]))
-			giststate->supportCollation[i] = index->rd_indcollation[i];
+			giststate->column_state[i].supportCollation = index->rd_indcollation[i];
 		else
-			giststate->supportCollation[i] = DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID;
+			giststate->column_state[i].supportCollation = DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID;
 	}
 
 	/* No opclass information for INCLUDE attributes */
 	for (; i < index->rd_att->natts; i++)
 	{
-		giststate->consistentFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->unionFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->compressFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->decompressFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->penaltyFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->picksplitFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->equalFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->distanceFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->fetchFn[i].fn_oid = InvalidOid;
-		giststate->supportCollation[i] = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].consistentFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].unionFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].compressFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].decompressFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].penaltyFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].picksplitFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].equalFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].distanceFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].fetchFn.fn_oid = InvalidOid;
+		giststate->column_state[i].supportCollation = InvalidOid;
 	}
 
 	MemoryContextSwitchTo(oldCxt);
diff --git a/src/backend/access/gist/gistscan.c b/src/backend/access/gist/gistscan.c
index 61e92cf0f5..19fe161366 100644
--- a/src/backend/access/gist/gistscan.c
+++ b/src/backend/access/gist/gistscan.c
@@ -258,7 +258,7 @@ gistrescan(IndexScanDesc scan, ScanKey key, int nkeys,
 			 * of function implementing filtering operator.
 			 */
 			fmgr_info_copy(&(skey->sk_func),
-						   &(so->giststate->consistentFn[skey->sk_attno - 1]),
+						   &(so->giststate->column_state[skey->sk_attno - 1].consistentFn),
 						   so->giststate->scanCxt);
 
 			/* Restore prior fn_extra pointers, if not first time */
@@ -304,7 +304,7 @@ gistrescan(IndexScanDesc scan, ScanKey key, int nkeys,
 		for (i = 0; i < scan->numberOfOrderBys; i++)
 		{
 			ScanKey		skey = scan->orderByData + i;
-			FmgrInfo   *finfo = &(so->giststate->distanceFn[skey->sk_attno - 1]);
+			FmgrInfo   *finfo = &(so->giststate->column_state[skey->sk_attno - 1].distanceFn);
 
 			/* Check we actually have a distance function ... */
 			if (!OidIsValid(finfo->fn_oid))
diff --git a/src/backend/access/gist/gistsplit.c b/src/backend/access/gist/gistsplit.c
index 526ed1218e..c8fc67f91c 100644
--- a/src/backend/access/gist/gistsplit.c
+++ b/src/backend/access/gist/gistsplit.c
@@ -378,16 +378,16 @@ genericPickSplit(GISTSTATE *giststate, GistEntryVector *entryvec, GIST_SPLITVEC
 	evec->n = v->spl_nleft;
 	memcpy(evec->vector, entryvec->vector + FirstOffsetNumber,
 		   sizeof(GISTENTRY) * evec->n);
-	v->spl_ldatum = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->unionFn[attno],
-									  giststate->supportCollation[attno],
+	v->spl_ldatum = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->column_state[attno].unionFn,
+									  giststate->column_state[attno].supportCollation,
 									  PointerGetDatum(evec),
 									  PointerGetDatum(&nbytes));
 
 	evec->n = v->spl_nright;
 	memcpy(evec->vector, entryvec->vector + FirstOffsetNumber + v->spl_nleft,
 		   sizeof(GISTENTRY) * evec->n);
-	v->spl_rdatum = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->unionFn[attno],
-									  giststate->supportCollation[attno],
+	v->spl_rdatum = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->column_state[attno].unionFn,
+									  giststate->column_state[attno].supportCollation,
 									  PointerGetDatum(evec),
 									  PointerGetDatum(&nbytes));
 }
@@ -430,8 +430,8 @@ gistUserPicksplit(Relation r, GistEntryVector *entryvec, int attno, GistSplitVec
 	 * Let the opclass-specific PickSplit method do its thing.  Note that at
 	 * this point we know there are no null keys in the entryvec.
 	 */
-	FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->picksplitFn[attno],
-					  giststate->supportCollation[attno],
+	FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->column_state[attno].picksplitFn,
+					  giststate->column_state[attno].supportCollation,
 					  PointerGetDatum(entryvec),
 					  PointerGetDatum(sv));
 
diff --git a/src/backend/access/gist/gistutil.c b/src/backend/access/gist/gistutil.c
index 8dcd53c457..32a316b880 100644
--- a/src/backend/access/gist/gistutil.c
+++ b/src/backend/access/gist/gistutil.c
@@ -200,8 +200,8 @@ gistMakeUnionItVec(GISTSTATE *giststate, IndexTuple *itvec, int len,
 			}
 
 			/* Make union and store in attr array */
-			attr[i] = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->unionFn[i],
-										giststate->supportCollation[i],
+			attr[i] = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->column_state[i].unionFn,
+										giststate->column_state[i].supportCollation,
 										PointerGetDatum(evec),
 										PointerGetDatum(&attrsize));
 
@@ -269,8 +269,8 @@ gistMakeUnionKey(GISTSTATE *giststate, int attno,
 		}
 
 		*dstisnull = false;
-		*dst = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->unionFn[attno],
-								 giststate->supportCollation[attno],
+		*dst = FunctionCall2Coll(&giststate->column_state[attno].unionFn,
+								 giststate->column_state[attno].supportCollation,
 								 PointerGetDatum(evec),
 								 PointerGetDatum(&dstsize));
 	}
@@ -281,8 +281,8 @@ gistKeyIsEQ(GISTSTATE *giststate, int attno, Datum a, Datum b)
 {
 	bool		result;
 
-	FunctionCall3Coll(&giststate->equalFn[attno],
-					  giststate->supportCollation[attno],
+	FunctionCall3Coll(&giststate->column_state[attno].equalFn,
+					  giststate->column_state[attno].supportCollation,
 					  a, b,
 					  PointerGetDatum(&result));
 	return result;
@@ -554,12 +554,12 @@ gistdentryinit(GISTSTATE *giststate, int nkey, GISTENTRY *e,
 		gistentryinit(*e, k, r, pg, o, l);
 
 		/* there may not be a decompress function in opclass */
-		if (!OidIsValid(giststate->decompressFn[nkey].fn_oid))
+		if (!OidIsValid(giststate->column_state[nkey].decompressFn.fn_oid))
 			return;
 
 		dep = (GISTENTRY *)
-			DatumGetPointer(FunctionCall1Coll(&giststate->decompressFn[nkey],
-											  giststate->supportCollation[nkey],
+			DatumGetPointer(FunctionCall1Coll(&giststate->column_state[nkey].decompressFn,
+											  giststate->column_state[nkey].supportCollation,
 											  PointerGetDatum(e)));
 		/* decompressFn may just return the given pointer */
 		if (dep != e)
@@ -612,10 +612,10 @@ gistCompressValues(GISTSTATE *giststate, Relation r,
 			gistentryinit(centry, attdata[i], r, NULL, (OffsetNumber) 0,
 						  isleaf);
 			/* there may not be a compress function in opclass */
-			if (OidIsValid(giststate->compressFn[i].fn_oid))
+			if (OidIsValid(giststate->column_state[i].compressFn.fn_oid))
 				cep = (GISTENTRY *)
-					DatumGetPointer(FunctionCall1Coll(&giststate->compressFn[i],
-													  giststate->supportCollation[i],
+					DatumGetPointer(FunctionCall1Coll(&giststate->column_state[i].compressFn,
+													  giststate->column_state[i].supportCollation,
 													  PointerGetDatum(&centry)));
 			else
 				cep = &centry;
@@ -650,8 +650,8 @@ gistFetchAtt(GISTSTATE *giststate, int nkey, Datum k, Relation r)
 	gistentryinit(fentry, k, r, NULL, (OffsetNumber) 0, false);
 
 	fep = (GISTENTRY *)
-		DatumGetPointer(FunctionCall1Coll(&giststate->fetchFn[nkey],
-										  giststate->supportCollation[nkey],
+		DatumGetPointer(FunctionCall1Coll(&giststate->column_state[nkey].fetchFn,
+										  giststate->column_state[nkey].supportCollation,
 										  PointerGetDatum(&fentry)));
 
 	/* fetchFn set 'key', return it to the caller */
@@ -676,14 +676,14 @@ gistFetchTuple(GISTSTATE *giststate, Relation r, IndexTuple tuple)
 
 		datum = index_getattr(tuple, i + 1, giststate->leafTupdesc, &isnull[i]);
 
-		if (giststate->fetchFn[i].fn_oid != InvalidOid)
+		if (giststate->column_state[i].fetchFn.fn_oid != InvalidOid)
 		{
 			if (!isnull[i])
 				fetchatt[i] = gistFetchAtt(giststate, i, datum, r);
 			else
 				fetchatt[i] = (Datum) 0;
 		}
-		else if (giststate->compressFn[i].fn_oid == InvalidOid)
+		else if (giststate->column_state[i].compressFn.fn_oid == InvalidOid)
 		{
 			/*
 			 * If opclass does not provide compress method that could change
@@ -726,11 +726,11 @@ gistpenalty(GISTSTATE *giststate, int attno,
 {
 	float		penalty = 0.0;
 
-	if (giststate->penaltyFn[attno].fn_strict == false ||
+	if (giststate->column_state[attno].penaltyFn.fn_strict == false ||
 		(isNullOrig == false && isNullAdd == false))
 	{
-		FunctionCall3Coll(&giststate->penaltyFn[attno],
-						  giststate->supportCollation[attno],
+		FunctionCall3Coll(&giststate->column_state[attno].penaltyFn,
+						  giststate->column_state[attno].supportCollation,
 						  PointerGetDatum(orig),
 						  PointerGetDatum(add),
 						  PointerGetDatum(&penalty));
diff --git a/src/include/access/gist_private.h b/src/include/access/gist_private.h
index 553d364e2d..7482482e42 100644
--- a/src/include/access/gist_private.h
+++ b/src/include/access/gist_private.h
@@ -59,6 +59,22 @@ typedef struct
 #define PAGE_NO_SPACE(nbp, itup) (PAGE_FREE_SPACE(nbp) < \
 										MAXALIGN(IndexTupleSize(itup)))
 
+typedef struct GIST_COL_STATE
+{
+	FmgrInfo	consistentFn;
+	FmgrInfo	unionFn;
+	FmgrInfo	compressFn;
+	FmgrInfo	decompressFn;
+	FmgrInfo	penaltyFn;
+	FmgrInfo	picksplitFn;
+	FmgrInfo	equalFn;
+	FmgrInfo	distanceFn;
+	FmgrInfo	fetchFn;
+
+	/* Collations to pass to the support functions */
+	Oid			supportCollation;
+} GIST_COL_STATE;
+
 /*
  * GISTSTATE: information needed for any GiST index operation
  *
@@ -83,18 +99,7 @@ typedef struct GISTSTATE
 	TupleDesc	fetchTupdesc;	/* tuple descriptor for tuples returned in an
 								 * index-only scan */
 
-	FmgrInfo	consistentFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	unionFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	compressFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	decompressFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	penaltyFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	picksplitFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	equalFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	distanceFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-	FmgrInfo	fetchFn[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
-
-	/* Collations to pass to the support functions */
-	Oid			supportCollation[INDEX_MAX_KEYS];
+	GIST_COL_STATE column_state[FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER];
 } GISTSTATE;

-- 
2.30.2

--------------7F3894F7B390FDB09EFDB0AE--