Subject: Missing reflection in nls.mk from recent basebackup changes

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 10:21:23 +0900 (JST)

Hello.

After a recent commit f80b09bac8, make update-po fails with "missing
required files". The commit moved some files to fe_utils but this
change was not reflected in pg_basebackup's nls.mk. The attached patch
fixes this issue.

regards.

-- 
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center
>From f9eac9605d0309d32d6d1fab7a0a2d4e8d42798a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 10:04:54 +0900
Subject: [PATCH] Fix nls.mk to reflect astreamer files relocation

In the recent commit f80b09bac8, astreamer files were moved to another
directory, but this change was not reflected in nls.mk. This commit
corrects that oversight.
---
 src/bin/pg_basebackup/nls.mk | 10 +++++-----
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/bin/pg_basebackup/nls.mk b/src/bin/pg_basebackup/nls.mk
index 950b9797b1..f75f44dbe6 100644
--- a/src/bin/pg_basebackup/nls.mk
+++ b/src/bin/pg_basebackup/nls.mk
@@ -1,12 +1,7 @@
 # src/bin/pg_basebackup/nls.mk
 CATALOG_NAME     = pg_basebackup
 GETTEXT_FILES    = $(FRONTEND_COMMON_GETTEXT_FILES) \
-                   astreamer_file.c \
-                   astreamer_gzip.c \
                    astreamer_inject.c \
-                   astreamer_lz4.c \
-                   astreamer_tar.c \
-                   astreamer_zstd.c \
                    pg_basebackup.c \
                    pg_createsubscriber.c \
                    pg_receivewal.c \
@@ -19,6 +14,11 @@ GETTEXT_FILES    = $(FRONTEND_COMMON_GETTEXT_FILES) \
                    ../../common/fe_memutils.c \
                    ../../common/file_utils.c \
                    ../../common/restricted_token.c \
+                   ../../fe_utils/astreamer_file.c \
+                   ../../fe_utils/astreamer_gzip.c \
+                   ../../fe_utils/astreamer_lz4.c \
+                   ../../fe_utils/astreamer_tar.c \
+                   ../../fe_utils/astreamer_zstd.c \
                    ../../fe_utils/option_utils.c \
                    ../../fe_utils/recovery_gen.c \
                    ../../fe_utils/string_utils.c
-- 
2.43.5

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 10:39:10 +0900

> change was not reflected in pg_basebackup's nls.mk. The attached patch

You are right.  Still, it is not something that committers are
required to update when introducing new files, isn't it?  I don't see
why we should be aggressive here for HEAD.

ad8877cb5137 has done a large batch of these for the v17 cycle.
--
Michael

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 18:54:37 -0400

> why we should be aggressive here for HEAD.

Well, make targets should always work.

> ad8877cb5137 has done a large batch of these for the v17 cycle.

IIUC that's slightly different -- it concerns files that contain
*additional* files that msgmerge need to scan in order to extract
translatable strings.  This patch is about fixing bogus file locations
in the makefiles.  So without this patch, update-po fails; without the
commit you mention, update-po continues to run, the only problem is it
misses a few files.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El sentido de las cosas no viene de las cosas, sino de
las inteligencias que las aplican a sus problemas diarios
en busca del progreso." (Ernesto Hernández-Novich)