Subject: New commitfest app release on August 19th

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2025 09:19:40 +0200

Thanks to the Claude Code AI tool I was able to get some boring
cleanup done on the CF app in not that much time. I'll release all of
it on August 19th.

List of the changes:
- Update to Bootstrap 5 for more modern visual look and better default
contrast of a bunch of UI elements.
- Add a navigation bar at the top of the page, including a "Contribute
on GitHub" button which links to the CF app repo.
- Move the dashboard to the homepage under the list of commitfests.
- Much better tag selector, which shows the tag descriptions and
colors. (descriptions are also searchable).
- Bugfix where draft patches would show in the wrong section in the
personal dashboard
- Nicer sorting icons for the commitfest columns (exact icon depends
on the column)
- Show Search/Filter options by default
- Improved the typography of date ranges by using an en-dash\

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2025 09:23:44 +0200

On Fri, 8 Aug 2025 at 09:19, Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'll release all of it on August 19th.

As always, you can see the changes live here:

https://commitfest-test.postgresql.org/ (username and password are "pgtest")

Feedback is welcome. Especially if you think something looks off or
buttons don't work (likely caused by the Bootstrap 5 upgrade). I think
I visited all the pages and clicked all the buttons, but I might have
missed a few.

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2025 11:54:59 +0200

> - Improved the typography of date ranges by using an en-dash\

Nice stuff.  I tried the search, works great, hadn't noticed it before
though now I see it was there already.  Maybe the result page could be
improved still, for instance
https://commitfest-test.postgresql.org/search/?searchterm=psql
shows a long list of patches in which it's hard to see which ones are
current, which were Committed, which ones were Returned with Feedback.
(The latter is extremely useful to find old items that were neglected --
I do that all the time, manually, very annoying.)

I hope more widespread use of tags will one day release us from having
the "Topic" categorization, which is not all that useful anymore.

Two minor comments: the tags in the patch page
https://commitfest-test.postgresql.org/patch/5501/
are not clickable, so I can't go to other patches containing the same
tags as this one.  This sounds like a trivial fix.  Tags are already
clickable in other pages.

The other one I noticed while looking at the prod Draft-CF a couple of
days ago.  Here:
https://commitfest-test.postgresql.org/54/
I think the "Closed patches" in the draft CF should not list the patches
that were moved to a future non-draft CF -- that's clutter and serves no
purpose.  It still makes sense to list the Draft-CF in the "Status"
section of the patch page itself.  (Eh, now I notice that the help page
says at the bottom "Another difference between Draft CommitFests and
regular CommitFests is that Draft CommitFests don't list resolved
patches." which is kinda not true)

Not a fan of the high-contrast buttons (the new black/white elements in
the navigation bar).  It feels odd to have everything in gray, except a
too-notorious blue Github button.  IMO that button is also too wide --
if I keep the browser window of the same width I typically use (half the
screen) then the menu at the top disappears and is replaced with the
hamburger button, and so becomes unusable.

Many thanks for working on this,

-- 
Álvaro Herrera        Breisgau, Deutschland  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"No nos atrevemos a muchas cosas porque son difíciles,
pero son difíciles porque no nos atrevemos a hacerlas" (Séneca)

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 09:39:14 +0200

On Fri, 8 Aug 2025 at 11:55, Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Nice stuff.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's super helpful.

> I tried the search, works great, hadn't noticed it before

Indeed I just moved the box around this time. It's probably not too
hard to allow searching globally. So I created an issue to track it:
https://github.com/postgres/pgcommitfest/issues/92

> the "Topic" categorization, which is not all that useful anymore.

Yeah, that's something I intend to try out soonish.

> clickable in other pages.

It's not entirely trivial I guess: What CF should those buttons link
to? The In Progress CF, the Open CF or the last CF that

> patches." which is kinda not true)

I think that's fair. How about I simply remove the closed patches
section in Draft CFs completely and make sure a closed/completed patch
is always moved to the open CF? Or do you see any reason to keep the
section?

> too-notorious blue Github button.

I'll see if I can make the styling of the buttons a bit better.

> IMO that button is also too wide --

Pushed a fix for that now.

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 09:03:48 +0200

On Fri, 8 Aug 2025 at 09:19, Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]> wrote:
> - Improved the typography of date ranges by using an en-dash

This is now deployed to production. Please let me know if some
behaviour got broken or styling looks weird.

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 09:10:48 +0200

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2025 at 11:55, Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:
...
> to? The In Progress CF, the Open CF or the last CF that

Could be any of these, on a page with tabs or links to others ?

---

From: Chao Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 15:18:22 +0800

> On Aug 19, 2025, at 15:03, Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
> 

The new UI looks nicer.

But I now aways get “Error 503 Backend fetch failed” when I click on any email link or attachment link.

--
Chao Li (Evan)
HighGo Software Co., Ltd.
https://www.highgo.com/

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 09:21:32 +0200

> But I now aways get “Error 503 Backend fetch failed” when I click on any email link or attachment link.

Seems the web-archives are having issues. That's unfortunate timing,
but unrelated to the commitfest app deploy.

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 16:21:39 +0900

> any email link or attachment link.

That happens from time to time.  This is unrelated to the CF app
itself.
--
Michael

---

From: John Naylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 14:31:27 +0700

> behaviour got broken or styling looks weird.

I found the font difficult to read, like it's not rendering smoothly
on my system. While the text looked smaller, I had to zoom out to 75%
in my browser to get the whole table to fit on screen --  anyone else?
(I didn't see font in the list of changes...)

-- 
John Naylor
Amazon Web Services

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 11:15:06 +0200

> (I didn't see font in the list of changes...)

That's a difference between Bootstrap 3 and Bootstrap 5 I guess.
Before font-family was set to this:

"Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif

Now it's set to this much longer fallback string:

system-ui, -apple-system, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", "Noto
Sans", "Liberation Sans", Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji",
"Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Noto Color Emoji"

Can you check what font is actually being used on your system like this[1]?

[1]: https://devtoolstips.org/tips/en/list-used-fonts/

---

From: John Naylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 16:30:02 +0700

> [1]: https://devtoolstips.org/tips/en/list-used-fonts/

"Rendered fonts" shows:

Family name: Cantarell (Fontations)
PostScript name: Cantarell-Regular
Font origin: Local file(80 glyphs)

-- 
John Naylor
Amazon Web Services

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 11:31:28 +0200

> behaviour got broken or styling looks weird.

Hmm, you seem to have changed the main page title from "Commitfests" to
"CommitFests".  There is a subjective argument that the uppercase F in
the middle of that word looks terrible for some reason, but there's also
the objective argument that the change on that particular page broke the
pginfra monitoring for the page.  

Can you please put that lowercase "f" back?  Here's a quick patch.  (I
think several people would not be pleased if the uppercase F were to
propagate much more.)

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

---

From: Fujii Masao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 19:08:37 +0900

> cleanup done on the CF app in not that much time. I'll release all of

Thanks for your continued work on improving the commitfest app!

I pushed the patch registered in PG19-2 and tried to change its status
to Committed by clicking [Change Status] -> [Committed] in its
commitfest page [1]. This worked fine until yesterday, but starting
today, nothing happens when I click it. Could this be related to
today's new release?

Regards,

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/patch/5945/

-- 
Fujii Masao

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 12:56:48 +0200

> today, nothing happens when I click it. Could this be related to

Oops, that was indeed accidentally broken. It's fixed now.

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 13:06:00 +0200

> think several people would not be pleased if the uppercase F were to

Applied and deployed your patch to make the monitoring happy. Could
you add me to whatever list is necessary for me to receive these
notifications too?

I'm wondering what other people consider the correct spelling though.
The wiki[1] has been using the spelling with the capital F. As well as
the code for the commitfest app.

[1]: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest

---

From: Aleksander Alekseev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 14:16:22 +0300

Hi
,
> While the text looked smaller, I had to zoom out to 75%

Same here (Firefox 141, Ubuntu 24.04). I had to scale the page to 90%.

It doesn't bother me too much - just wanted to share in case the
intent was to make the table screen-wide. It seems to be slightly
wider in practice.

-- 
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 13:06:06 +0100

> [1]: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest

In the earliest conversations I can find about the idea on -core, we
actually used commit-fest. However, I would say Commitfest is correct, as
that's what we've used for the name on the site for years.

The URL above is a redirect to https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Commitfest

-- 
Dave Page
pgAdmin: https://www.pgadmin.org
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org
pgEdge: https://www.pgedge.com

---

From: Fujii Masao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 22:43:52 +0900

> Oops, that was indeed accidentally broken. It's fixed now.

Thanks for the fix! I was able to change the status to Committed successfully.

Regards,

-- 
Fujii Masao

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 10:27:09 -0400

> Same here (Firefox 141, Ubuntu 24.04). I had to scale the page to 90%.

For me, with Safari on macOS, the font does look a bit different but
not objectionably so.  But I too notice that the tables of patches
seem significantly wider than before.  If I zoom out enough to fit
the whole table width in my usual browser window, the text is almost
unreadably small.  The tables were a bit wider than screen width
already, but it feels like they changed significantly.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 19:31:39 +0200

> already, but it feels like they changed significantly.

I deployed a change now where the font-size is changed back to 14px
again, and I removed "system-ui" font from the font list. I hope that
solves the difficult to read fonts and larger tables issues. Feedback
welcome, since this is definitely a thing that difference based on the
machine/screen/OS.

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 20:04:18 +0200

On 2025-Aug-19, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:

> Applied and deployed your patch to make the monitoring happy.

Many thanks!  It is indeed happier.

> Could you add me to whatever list is necessary for me to receive these
> notifications too?

Hmm, I don't know that I can do that.  It's kinda hardcoded to pginfra
sysadmins and adding exceptions to the multiple layers of config file
generation looks quite arcane.  I'm not touching that for now, sorry.

> the code for the commitfest app.

I'm happy to assign blame the capital F to people who's no longer with
the project, so they don't have to defend the choice.
(Actually, it may have been me.)

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Siempre hay que alimentar a los dioses, aunque la tierra esté seca" (Orual)

---

From: John Naylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2025 10:36:59 +0700

> welcome, since this is definitely a thing that difference based on the

The font is much better, thanks!

The table still only fits at 80%, but I think even that would be
tolerable if ID were put at the end of the row. I've never needed the
ID by itself, and if I did I could mouse-over the patch link.

-- 
John Naylor
Amazon Web Services

---

From: vignesh C <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2025 14:55:15 +0530

> - Improved the typography of date ranges by using an en-dash\

While using the CommitFest interface to send a private mail, I noticed
that the confirmation checkbox ("Check to confirm sending") does not
appear as a standard small tick box. Instead, it renders as a long
horizontal box across the page. The functionality still works, but the
display looks incorrect.

Regards,
Vignesh

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2025 18:13:54 +0200

We just witnessed something weird with a patch that's perhaps a bug in
the workflow for detecting attachments.  Patch in question was
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/patch/5972/

1. patch was in CF19-2
2. patch needed rebase.
3. Mario sent a new mail with rebased git-format-patch to the thread
4. patch continued to need rebase. In fact, it appeared as if the thread
   info was not updated at all.
5. Mario moved the CF item to CF19-3
6. Nothing appeared to change, i.e. the thread display said that the
   last email was from Peter, ignoring the new email.
7. I detached the thread from the CF item, then attached the thread
   again.  This time it showed both messages, but the attachment list
   continued to show only the old one, ignoring the new patch.

Any thoughts?  One idea is to delete the CF item and create it afresh :-)

I *suspect* that the thread-processor ignored the attachment because of
CF19-2 being dead, but had already imported the email message; and then
when the patch was moved to CF19-3, the new email was not processed
again so the attachment was again not seen.  Does that make sense?

Thanks!

-- 
Álvaro Herrera        Breisgau, Deutschland  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to house
 PhD theses." (Joey Hellerstein, SIGMOD annual conference 2002)