Subject: Re: Release and unpin buffers after leaving CRIT section in GIN.

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2026 16:02:23 +0900

On Tue, Feb 17, 2026 at 03:14:45PM +0500, Kirill Reshke wrote:
> Looks like there are two more instances of this on HEAD: in gistbuild
> and log_newpage_range. Is it?

Planting an assertion in UnlockReleaseBuffer(), there are two extra
places that can be spotted:
- Most of the places reported by the regression tests seem to come
from gistplacetopage(), with UnlockReleaseBuffer() called for a
rootsplit.  This case is actually OK to me, where the new buffers are
all unlocked with the root page locked.  I have to admit that I am not
the best specialist ever on this one, so I may be missing something.
- ginHeapTupleFastInsert(), with UnlockReleaseBuffer() called before
GinGetPendingListCleanupSize().  This one is not in line, being
registered as buffer in a XLOG_GIN_UPDATE_META_PAGE record.  We could
do better here.

Saying that, the cases of createPostingTree()@gindatapage.c, the three
in ginfast.c, the one in ginutil.c, the two in ginvacuum.c (one with
only unpins), and xloginsert.c are no-brainers to me, so I have
applied these.

The two proposed cases in gininsert.c and gistbuild.c do nothing
related to WAL-logging, though.
--
Michael