Subject: savepoints and upgrading locks

From: Jeff Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 13:41:49 -0700

This thread here became a TODO item:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg01011.php

During that discussion a patch was produced that nobody seemed to have
objections to. The main problem seemed to be that it wouldn't always
downgrade the lock on a ROLLBACK TO (as I understand it), which doesn't
seem like a problem to me.

Is there a reason this isn't a part of 8.3, or was it just forgotten?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:15:50 -0400 (EDT)

Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:

	http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches

It will be applied as soon as one of the PostgreSQL committers reviews
and approves it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Davis wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
> 
>                http://archives.postgresql.org

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>          http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                               http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:37:19 -0400

> It will be applied as soon as one of the PostgreSQL committers reviews

Wait a minute.  Would the mentioned patch be this one?
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general/73330

Because it was later declared not working; see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general/73334

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:48:22 -0400

> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:

Please take it off again.

>> objections to.

Apparently you stopped reading somewhere.  It was pretty thoroughly
destroyed beginning here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00025.php

We should have spent more effort trying to think of a solution to the
problem during the 8.3 development cycle.  At the moment we're no
further ahead than we were in December.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:09:55 -0400 (EDT)

OK, emails moved to 8.4 queue.

Tom Lane wrote:
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings