Subject: Re: Bitmap index

From: "Pawel Niewiadomski" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Nov 2004 10:25:41 -0000

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:26:41 +1100, Neil Conway <[email-masked]> wrote :

> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 07:57 +0000, PaweX Niewiadomski wrote:
> > I saw discussion about bitmap indexes few weeks ago. I wonder if
> > any of you is working on it (in secret)?
> 
> For what it's worth, I don't know of anyone working on them.
> 
> > I will be chosing subject
> > of my master thesis and thougth about implementing bitmap indexes.
> 
> No objection here :)

My promoter accepted the subject. I'm waiting for an official acceptance
of the subject. Until then I would want to get familiar with PostgreSQL
internals and bitmap index implementations. I will appreciate 
any links to online papers, books that could help me.

-- 
**Pawel Niewiadomski**, new()foo-baz.com, http://new.foo-baz.com/
Virtual Qmail (http://v-q.foo-baz.com), qmail-patches (http://q-p.foo-baz.com)

---

From: Yann Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:07:37 +0100

Hi,

> any links to online papers, books that could help me.

That sounds nice! I thought of implementing it as part of my master
thesis next year so I already started reading about bitmap indexing and
so on. A nice start is possibly "Hector Garcia-Mollina" "Database
Implementation". 

Regards,
Yann