Subject: Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:29:49 -0400

Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> writes:
> Yeah, I've been proposing this kind of thing for many years; the
> problem, until not long ago, was that the tooling was unable to process
> non-Latin1 characters in all the output formats that we use.  But
> tooling has changed and the oldest platforms have disappeared, so maybe
> it works now; do you want to inject some Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese
> names and give it a spin?  At least HTML and PDF need to work correctly.

I'm pretty sure the PDF toolchain still fails on non-Latin1 characters.
At least it does the way I have it installed; maybe adding some
non-default dependencies would help?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Vik Fearing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 15:40:48 +0200

> non-default dependencies would help?

I am struggling to find documentation on how to build the pdfs with 
meson.  Any pointers?
-- 
Vik Fearing

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 16:24:09 +0200

> non-default dependencies would help?

See here: 
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

---

From: jian he <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:06:03 +0800

> I am struggling to find documentation on how to build the pdfs with

ninja docs:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Meson#Meson_documentation

ninja alldocs. which take some time, build all kinds of formats, some may fail.

there is another tricky usage:
type "ninja doc" then press Tab for complete twice, you will get all
the available options like following:
docs                                    doc/src/sgml/man3
doc/src/sgml/errcodes-table.sgml        doc/src/sgml/man7
doc/src/sgml/features-supported.sgml    doc/src/sgml/postgres-A4.fo
doc/src/sgml/features-unsupported.sgml  doc/src/sgml/postgres-A4.pdf
doc/src/sgml/html                       doc/src/sgml/postgres.epub
doc/src/sgml/INSTALL                    doc/src/sgml/postgres-full.xml
doc/src/sgml/install-html               doc/src/sgml/postgres.html
doc/src/sgml/INSTALL.html               doc/src/sgml/postgres.txt
doc/src/sgml/install-man                doc/src/sgml/postgres-US.fo
doc/src/sgml/INSTALL.xml                doc/src/sgml/postgres-US.pdf
doc/src/sgml/keywords-table.sgml        doc/src/sgml/wait_event_types.sgml
doc/src/sgml/man1

---

From: Vik Fearing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 20:36:09 +0200

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

I applied that patch, and it works for Cyrillic text, but not for 
Japanese.  I am trying to figure out how to make it use a secondary 
font, but that might take me a while.
-- 
Vik Fearing