Subject: Re: Do we want a hashset type?

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:19:08 -0400

On 2023-06-12 Mo 09:00, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> What was the json/jsonb story, was it ever an extension before
>> being included in core?
> I don't recall what the exact story was, but I guess the "json" type was
> added to core very long ago (before we started to push back a bit), and
> we added some SQL grammar stuff too, which can't be done from extension.
> So when we added jsonb (much later than json), there wasn't much point
> in not having it in core.
>
>

Not quite.

The json type as added in 9.2 (Sept 2012) and jsonb in 9.4 (Dec 2014). I 
wouldn't call those far apart or very long ago. Neither included any 
grammar changes AFAIR.

But if they had been added as extensions we'd probably be in a whole lot 
more trouble now implementing SQL/JSON, so whether that was foresight or 
laziness I think the we landed on our feet there.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB:https://www.enterprisedb.com