Subject: Re: ANALYZE ONLY

From: David Rowley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 20:43:56 +1200

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 23 Aug 2024 at 22:01, Michael Harris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> V2 of the patch is attached.

(I understand this is your first PostgreSQL patch)

I just wanted to make sure you knew about the commitfest cycle we use
for the development of PostgreSQL.  If you've not got one already, can
you register a community account. That'll allow you to include this
patch in the September commitfest that starts on the 1st. See
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/49/

I understand there's now some sort of cool-off period for new
community accounts, so if you have trouble adding the patch before the
CF starts, let me know and I should be able to do it for you. The
commitfest normally closes for new patches around 12:00 UTC on the 1st
of the month.

There's a bit more information in
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch#Patch_submission

David

---

From: Michael Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 11:41:45 +1000

Thanks David

I had not read that wiki page well enough, so many thanks for alerting
me that I had to create a commitfest entry. I already had a community
account so I was able to login and create it here:

  https://commitfest.postgresql.org/49/5226/

I was not sure what to put for some of the fields - for 'reviewer' should
I have put the people who have provided feedback on this thread?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks again

Cheers
Mike

---

From: David Rowley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 21:31:18 +1200

> I have put the people who have provided feedback on this thread?

I think it's fairly common that only reviewers either add themselves
or don't bother.  I don't think it's common that patch authors add
reviewers. Some reviewers like their reviews to be more informal and
putting themselves as a reviewer can put other people off reviewing as
they think it's already handled by someone else. That may result in
the patch being neglected by reviewers.

> Is there anything else I need to do?

I see you set the target version as 17. That should be blank or "18".
PG17 is about to go into release candidate, so it is too late for
that. It's been fairly consistent that we open for new patches in
early July and close before the 2nd week of April the following year.
We're currently 2 months into PG18 dev. We don't back-patch new
features.

Nothing else aside from continuing to address reviews, as you are already.

David