Subject: Re: Solaris tar issues, or other reason why margay fails 010_pg_basebackup?

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:42:06 +1200

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 1:40 AM Marcel Hofstetter
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Using gnu tar helps to make pg_basebackup work.

Thanks!  I guess that'll remain a mystery.

> It fails now at a later step.

Oh, this rings a bell:

[14:54:58] t/010_tab_completion.pl ..
Dubious, test returned 29 (wstat 7424, 0x1d00)

We had another thread[1] where we figured out that Solaris's termios
defaults include TABDLY=TAB3, meaning "expand tabs to spaces on
output", and that was upsetting our tab-completion test.  Other Unixes
used to vary on this point too, but they all converged on not doing
that, except Solaris, apparently.  Perhaps IPC::Run could fix that by
calling ->set_raw() on the pseudo-terminal, but I'm not very sure
about that.

This test suite is passing on pollock because it doesn't have IO::Pty
installed.  Could you try uninstalling that perl package for now, so
we can see what breaks next?

[06:34:40] t/010_tab_completion.pl .. skipped: IO::Pty is needed to
run this test

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/MEYP282MB1669E2E11495A2DEAECE8736B6A7A%40MEYP282MB1669.AUSP282.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:12:17 -0400

> we can see what breaks next?

If that's inconvenient for some reason, you could also skip the
tab-completion test by setting SKIP_READLINE_TESTS in the
animal's build_env options.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Marcel Hofstetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 14:57:14 +0200

Thank you tom.

SKIP_READLINE_TESTS works. margay is now green again.

Best regards,
Marcel

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:24:26 +1200

> SKIP_READLINE_TESTS works. margay is now green again.

Great!  FTR there was a third thing revealed by margay since you
enabled the TAP tests: commit e2a23576.

I would guess that the best chance of getting the readline stuff to
actually work would be to interest someone who hacks on
IPC::Run-and-related-stuff (*cough* Noah *cough*) and who has Solaris
access to look at that... I would guess it needs a one-line fix
relating to raw/cooked behaviour, but as the proverbial mechanic said,
most of the fee is for knowing where to hit it...