Subject: Re: OpenSSL 3.0.0 vs old branches

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 11:13:57 -0500

Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]> writes:
> I recently moved crake to a new machine running Fedora 36, which has 
> OpenSSL 3.0.0. This causes the SSL tests to fail on branches earlier 
> than release 13, so I propose to backpatch commit f0d2c65f17 to the 
> release 11 and 12 branches.

Hmm ... according to that commit message,

  Note that the minimum supported OpenSSL version is 1.0.1 as of
  7b283d0e1d1d79bf1c962d790c94d2a53f3bb38a, so this does not introduce
  any new version requirements.

So presumably, changing this test would break it for OpenSSL 0.9.8,
which is still nominally supported in those branches.  On the other
hand, this test isn't run by default, so users would likely never
notice anyway.

On the whole, +1 for doing this (after the release freeze lifts).

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 16:19:30 -0500

On 2023-02-06 Mo 11:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<[email-masked]>  writes:

Presumably we don't have any buildfarm animals running with such old 
versions of openssl, or they would be failing the same test on release 
 >= 13.

I'll push this in due course.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB:https://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 17:01:08 -0500

> versions of openssl, or they would be failing the same test on release 

That test isn't run by default in the buildfarm either, no?

But indeed, probably nobody in the community is testing such builds
at all.  I did have such setups on my old dinosaur BF animals, but
they bit the dust last year for unrelated reasons.  I wonder how
realistic it is to claim that we still support those old OpenSSL
versions.

			regards, tom lane