Subject: Re: pgsql: Consolidate docs for vacuum-related GUCs in new subsection

From: Melanie Plageman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 10:22:15 -0500

Thanks to Álvaro for pointing this out. I didn't think of it.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2025 at 2:21 PM Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]> writes:
> > On 11 Jan 2025, at 10:02, Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> and the GUC grouping in guc_tables.c/h?
>
> > I don't know what our policy around this is, and maybe the backpatching hazard
> > isn't too bad here, but it doesn't entirely seem worth the churn.
>
> I think the entire point of that categorization is to line up with the
> docs, so our policy should be to fix this.

I wrote a patch to reorder postgresql.conf.sample. But when I started
looking at guc_tables.c, it doesn't seem like those are grouped
according to the current docs order. Part of this is because some of
the GUCs have different data types. But this appears to be more than
that. For example, in master guc_tables.c,
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit and vacuum_cost_limit are together (in
docs in master they were in different sub-sections). Is guc_tables.c
meant to be consistent with the ordering in the docs?

- Melanie

---

From: Melanie Plageman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 14:57:02 -0500

> meant to be consistent with the ordering in the docs?

Since I didn't hear back about this and I don't see an obvious
alternative reorganization in guc_tables.c, I plan to just push the
attached patch that updates only postgresql.conf.sample.

- Melanie