Subject: Re: Release notes for February minor releases

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:22:25 -0500

On 2/6/22 1:44 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On 2022-02-06 13:09:41 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> That's obviously to complicated for the release notes. Trying to make it more
>>> understandable I came up with the following, which still does not seem great:
>>> ...
>>
>> How do you like this wording?
> 
>> I'm also going to swap the order of this item and the TOAST locking
>> item, since that one is seeming like it's much more relevant to
>> most people.
> 
> +1

I'm working on the release announcement and have been following this thread.

Are there steps we can provide to help a user detect that this occurred, 
even though it's a low-probability?

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Justin Pryzby <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:38:02 -0600

> even though it's a low-probability?

It's the same question as raised here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/61fd9a5b.1c69fb81.88a14.5556%40mx.google.com

-- 
Justin

---

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 12:42:42 -0800

Hi,

> even though it's a low-probability?

Not realiably currently:
https://postgr.es/m/20220205221742.qylnkze5ykc4mabv%40alap3.anarazel.de
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

Greetings,

Andres Freund

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:30:34 -0500

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

Thanks.

For the release announcement then, it seems like the phrasing would to 
indicate the probability of hitting this issue is low, but if you are 
concerned, you should reindex.

I should have the first release announcement draft later tonight, which 
I'll put on its usual separate thread.

Thanks,

Jonathan