Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2024 20:40:17 -0400

Michael Paquier <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 09:43:45AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Not sure that this is a must-have.  It is nice to have, but extra
>> information is a new feature IMO.  Any extra opinions?

> Hearing nothing, I've applied that on HEAD now that v18 is open.

While this won't actually fail against a v10 or v11 server, it won't
show anything useful either (because relam is zero for heaps in
pre-v12 versions).  Perhaps there should be a check to only add the
extra column if server >= v12?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2024 10:18:59 +0900

> extra column if server >= v12?

I've thought about that and would be OK to restrict things with this
suggestion if you'd prefer it.  However, I could not decide in favor
of it as using a psql \dP+ >= v18 gives the possibility to show the
AMs of partitioned indexes, as these are also part listed in \dP.  So
I've found that useful in itself.
--
Michael

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2024 21:29:44 -0400

> I've found that useful in itself.

Ah, I'd forgotten that partitioned indexes are shown too.
Never mind then.

			regards, tom lane