Subject: Re: pgsql: Add a Gather executor node.

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 04:06:10 -0700

Hi,

On 2015-09-30 23:29:30 +0000, Robert Haas wrote:
> Add a Gather executor node.
> ...
> src/backend/executor/execProcnode.c           |   46 ++++

I just noticed that this added a new execProcnode dispatch routine, but
didn't add that to the file's header

 *	 INTERFACE ROUTINES
 *		ExecInitNode	-		initialize a plan node and its subplans
 *		ExecProcNode	-		get a tuple by executing the plan node
 *		ExecEndNode		-		shut down a plan node and its subplans
 *

Greetings,

Andres Freund

-- 
Sent via pgsql-committers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-committers

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:57:49 -0400

>  *              ExecEndNode             -               shut down a plan node and its subplans

I think those top-of-file lists are just annoying, and would prefer to
rip them out entirely rather than spend time maintaining them.  If you
want to see the list of interface routines, look in the header file.

heapam.c's header, for example, is missing try_relation_open,
relation_openrv_extended, heap_openrv_extended,
heap_beginscan_catalog, heap_beginscan_strat, heap_beginscan_bm,
heap_beginscan_sampling, heap_setscanlimits, heapgetpage,
heap_rescan_set_params, heap_parallelscan_estimate,
heap_parallelscan_initialize, heap_beginscan_parallel,
heap_hot_search_buffer, heap_hot_search, setLastTid,
GetBulkInsertState, FreeBulkInsertState, ReleaseBulkInsertState,
heap_finish_speculative, heap_abort_speculative, heap_lock_tuple,
heap_inplace_update, heap_tuple_needs_freeze,
heap_tuple_needs_eventual_freeze, simple_heap_insert,
simple_heap_update, simple_heap_delete, and heap_update_snapshot,
which means that if this comment was ever correct, it was more than a
decade ago.

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

-- 
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:34:32 -0400

Robert Haas wrote:

> rip them out entirely rather than spend time maintaining them.

+1

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:01:24 +0200

>> rip them out entirely rather than spend time maintaining them.

I'm quite sympathetic to that view. But I think it's either them, or ripping out, not leaving bit rot.

Andres

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:24:47 -0400

To the extent that they're just lists of function names, +1.  Some of
them have some documentation in them, which you'd need to make sure
is duplicative or else copy it to an appropriate place.

			regards, tom lane