Subject: Re: Is pg_regress --use-existing used by anyone or is it broken?

From: Peter Geoghegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 15:55:23 -0700

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 3:37 PM Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > It's handy when using pg_regress with a custom test suite, where I
> > don't want to be nagged about disconnecting from the database every
> > time.
>
> I'm curious about your workflow around it, it seems to me that it's kind of
> broken so I wonder if we instead then should make it an equal citizen with temp
> instance?

I'm confused. You seem to think that it's a problem that
--use-existing doesn't create databases and roles. But that's the
whole point, at least for me.

I don't use --use-existing to run the standard regression tests, or
anything like that. I use it to run my own custom test suite, often
while relying upon the database having certain data already. Sometimes
it's a nontrivial amount of data. I don't want to have to set up and
tear down the data every time, since it isn't usually necessary.

I usually have a relatively small and fast running read-only test
suite, and a larger test suite that does indeed need to do various
setup and teardown steps. It isn't possible to run the smaller test
suite without having first run the larger one at least once. But this
is just for me, during development. Right now, with my SAOP nbtree
project, the smaller test suite takes me about 50ms to run, while the
larger one takes almost 10 seconds.

-- 
Peter Geoghegan

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:03:58 +0200

> On 30 Aug 2023, at 00:55, Peter Geoghegan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Well, I think it's problematic that it doesn't handle database and role
creation due to it being buggy.  I'll have another look at fixing the issues to
see if there is more than what I posted upthread, while at the same time making
sure it will still support your use-case.

--
Daniel Gustafsson