Subject: Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:52:45 +0900

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:11:36AM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I don't like this bit, because it means the .txt file is now ungreppable
> as source of the enum name.  Things become mysterious and people have to
> track down the event name by reading the the Perl generating script.
> It's annoying.  I'd rather have the extra column, even if it means a
> little duplicity.

Hmm.  I can see your point that we'd lose the direct relationship
between the enum and string when running a single `git grep` from the
tree, still attempting to do that does not actually lead to much
information gained?  Personally, I usually grep for code when looking
for consistent information across various paths in the tree.  Wait
events are very different: each enum is used in a single place in the
tree making their grep search the equivalent of looking at
wait_event_names.txt anyway?

The quotes in the second columns can be removed even with your
argument in place.  That improves a bit the format.
--
Michael