Subject: Re: pg_dump --no-comments confusion

From: Matthias van de Meent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2024 16:13:25 +0100

On Mon, 4 Nov 2024 at 15:41, Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Someone emailed me privately saying they were confused because they
> thought pg_dump --no-comments would remove SQL comments, not the SQL
> COMMENT commands.  Is this something worth clarifying in our docs?  I am
> not even sure how I would express it.  It currently says:
>
>        --no-comments
>            Do not dump comments.
>
> We could change it to:
>
>        --no-comments
>            Do not dump SQL COMMENT commands

I think that'd be more confusing, as SQL comments are /* */. There is
no SQL standard-prescribed COMMENT command (if our current docs are to
be believed, I don't  have a recent version of ISO 9075 to verify that
claim).

Maybe: "Do not dump database object comments", or "Do not dump COMMENT
ON ... -commands"?

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech/)