Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 12:52:50 -0500

Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 2023-01-22 Su 17:47, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah.  That's one of my biggest gripes about pgperltidy: if you insert
>> another assignment in a series of assignments, it is very likely to
>> reformat all the adjacent assignments because it thinks it's cool to
>> make all the equal signs line up.  That's just awful.

> Modern versions of perltidy give you much more control over this, so 
> maybe we need to investigate the possibility of updating.

I have no objection to updating perltidy from time to time. I think the
idea is just to make sure that we have an agreed-on version for everyone
to use.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Noah Misch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 20:18:48 -0800

> idea is just to make sure that we have an agreed-on version for everyone

Agreed.  If we're changing the indentation of assignments, that's a
considerable diff already.  It would be a good time to absorb other diffs
we'll want eventually, including diffs from a perltidy version upgrade.