Subject: Re: convert libpq uri-regress tests to tap test

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:58:37 -0500

Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 23.02.22 21:30, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Where would we want that test to live? Right now we have the slightly odd
>> convention that some tap tests live in src/test/{misc,modules,...}. But
>> e.g. frontend binary ones are below src/bin/.

> libpq TAP tests should be in src/interfaces/libpq/t/.

> I think there were issues that the build farm wouldn't pick up a test 
> located there, but that should be fixed rather than worked around.

That's failing to account for the fact that a libpq test can't
really be a pure-perl TAP test; you need some C code to drive the
library.  I don't agree with intermixing such code with libpq
itself, independently of any buildsystem issues (which there
might well be).  So I think the design of putting such tests under
src/modules is fine.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 00:21:36 +0100

On 23.02.22 23:58, Tom Lane wrote:
> might well be).

Such things could be put under src/interfaces/libpq/test, or some other 
subdirectory.  We already have src/interfaces/ecpg/test.

> So I think the design of putting such tests under
> src/modules is fine.

I don't get what the rationale for that would be.  libpq tests are not 
"modules" of any kind.

If I'm working on libpq, I want to do make && make check inside the 
libpq source directory.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 20:52:41 -0500

>> library.

> subdirectory.  We already have src/interfaces/ecpg/test.

OK, but then the TAP scripts are under src/interfaces/libpq/test/t,
which isn't what you said.  I have no great objection to moving
src/test/modules/libpq_pipeline/ to src/interfaces/libpq/test/,
though, as long as the buildfarm will cope.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:19:39 -0500

> though, as long as the buildfarm will cope.

It won't without some adjustment.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 10:44:27 -0500

> It won't without some adjustment.

See
<https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/commit/ffc0fc029877632e9437af51bd99ace308daf0c8>
and
<https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=crake&dt=2022-03-01%2010%3A47%3A22&stg=module-libpq-check>

cheers

andrew

---

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 07:52:43 -0800

Hi, 

><https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=crake&dt=2022-03-01%2010%3A47%3A22&stg=module-libpq-check>

Thanks! 
-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.