Subject: pgsql: Permit dump/reload of not-too-large >1GB tuples

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 04:05:29 +0000

Permit dump/reload of not-too-large >1GB tuples

Our documentation states that our maximum field size is 1 GB, and that
our maximum row size of 1.6 TB.  However, while this might be attainable
in theory with enough contortions, it is not workable in practice; for
starters, pg_dump fails to dump tables containing rows larger than 1 GB,
even if individual columns are well below the limit; and even if one
does manage to manufacture a dump file containing a row that large, the
server refuses to load it anyway.

This commit enables dumping and reloading of such tuples, provided two
conditions are met:

1. no single column is larger than 1 GB (in output size -- for bytea
   this includes the formatting overhead)
2. the whole row is not larger than 2 GB

There are three related changes to enable this:

a. StringInfo's API now has two additional functions that allow creating
a string that grows beyond the typical 1GB limit (and "long" string).
ABI compatibility is maintained.  We still limit these strings to 2 GB,
though, for reasons explained below.

b. COPY now uses long StringInfos, so that pg_dump doesn't choke
trying to emit rows longer than 1GB.

c. heap_form_tuple now uses the MCXT_ALLOW_HUGE flag in its allocation
for the input tuple, which means that large tuples are accepted on
input.  Note that at this point we do not apply any further limit to the
input tuple size.

The main reason to limit to 2 GB is that the FE/BE protocol uses 32 bit
length words to describe each row; and because the documentation is
ambiguous on its signedness and libpq does consider it signed, we cannot
use the highest-order bit.  Additionally, the StringInfo API uses "int"
(which is 4 bytes wide in most platforms) in many places, so we'd need
to change that API too in order to improve, which has lots of fallout.

Backpatch to 9.5, which is the oldest that has
MemoryContextAllocExtended, a necessary piece of infrastructure.  We
could apply to 9.4 with very minimal additional effort, but any further
than that would require backpatching "huge" allocations too.

This is the largest set of changes we could find that can be
back-patched without breaking compatibility with existing systems.
Fixing a bigger set of problems (for example, dumping tuples bigger than
2GB, or dumping fields bigger than 1GB) would require changing the FE/BE
protocol and/or changing the StringInfo API in an ABI-incompatible way,
neither of which would be back-patchable.

Authors: Daniel Vérité, Álvaro Herrera
Reviewed by: Tomas Vondra
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fa2fa995528023b2e6ba1108f2f47558c6b66dcd

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/access/common/heaptuple.c |  4 ++-
src/backend/commands/copy.c           |  8 ++---
src/backend/lib/stringinfo.c          | 66 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
src/include/lib/stringinfo.h          | 18 +++++++---
4 files changed, 74 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)

-- 
Sent via pgsql-committers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-committers

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 22:10:46 -0500

> Permit dump/reload of not-too-large >1GB tuples

I apologize for not having paid close enough attention earlier, but:
this patch is absolutely unacceptable for the back branches and MUST
be reverted there.  Adding another field to StringInfoData is an ABI
change that will certainly break large numbers of extensions.  We
can't expect those to get recompiled for minor releases.

			regards, tom lane

-- 
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 00:38:03 -0300

> can't expect those to get recompiled for minor releases.

Oh, I see the problem now -- it can (and frequently is) stack allocated,
not just palloc'ed using the StringInfo api, and changing the size
breaks that.  Rats.  I'll revert tomorrow.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:51:47 -0300

> breaks that.  Rats.  I'll revert tomorrow.

Done.