Subject: Re: Tarball builds in the new world order

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:21:13 -0400

Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 6:06 PM Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Now, if we just do it exactly like that
>> then trying to "make dist" without setting PG_COMMIT_HASH will
>> fail, since "git archive" has no default for its <tree-ish>
>> argument.  I can't quite decide if that's a good thing, or if we
>> should hack the makefile a little further to allow PG_COMMIT_HASH
>> to default to HEAD.

> Just having it fail seems harsh. What if we had plain "make dist" at least
> output a friendly hint about "please specify a hash"? That seems better
> than an implicit HEAD default, as they can manually set it to HEAD
> themselves per the hint.

Yeah, it would be easy to do something like

ifneq ($(PG_COMMIT_HASH),)
	$(GIT) ...
else
	@echo "Please specify PG_COMMIT_HASH." && exit 1
endif

I'm just debating whether that's better than inserting a default
value.

			regards, tom lane