Subject: Re: Fix minor memory leak in connection string validation

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:18:55 -0500

Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 03:06:26PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> It makes me wonder if we should use the resowner mechanism to track
>> pointers to malloc'd memory. Then we could use a standard pattern for
>> these kinds of cases, and it would also catch more remote issues, like
>> if a pstrdup() fails in an error path (which can happen a few lines up
>> if the parse fails).

> That seems worth exploring.

I'm pretty dubious about adding overhead for that, mainly because
most of the direct callers of malloc in a backend are going to be
code that's not under our control.  Modifying the callers that we
do control is not going to give a full solution, and could well be
outright misleading.

> Another option could be to surround this with PG_TRY/PG_FINALLY, but your
> patch seems sufficient, too.

Yeah, seems fine for now.  If that function grows any more complexity
then we could think about using PG_TRY.

			regards, tom lane