Subject: Re: Failure with pgbench and --disable-thread-safety in ~v16

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:17:37 +0100

On 2023-Dec-04, Michael Paquier wrote:

> While running some tests for 8984480b545d, I have noticed that the TAP
> tests of pgbench fail when ~16 is compiled with
> --disable-thread-safety:
> [16:51:10.467](0.004s) not ok 227 - working \startpipeline with serializable status (got 1 vs expected 0)

So the problem is that we do this:

./pgbench -c4 -j2 -t 10 -n -M prepared -f /home/alvherre/Code/pgsql-build/REL_16_STABLE/src/bin/pgbench/tmp_check/t_001_pgbench_with_server_main_data/001_pgbench_pipeline

and get this error:
pgbench: error: threads are not supported on this platform; use -j1

So, the fix is just to remove the -j2 in the command line.  I'll do that
in a jiffy.  There's no other test that uses -j, except the one
specifically designed to test threads.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Bob [Floyd] used to say that he was planning to get a Ph.D. by the "green
stamp method," namely by saving envelopes addressed to him as 'Dr. Floyd'.
After collecting 500 such letters, he mused, a university somewhere in
Arizona would probably grant him a degree.              (Don Knuth)

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 07:22:00 +0900

> specifically designed to test threads.

Thanks for the quick fix.
--
Michael