Subject: Re: real/float example for testlibpq3

From: Ashutosh Bapat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 18:33:30 +0530

Hi Mark,
Fetching a "real" type field from libpq doesn't look that intuitive.
So this example is super helpful. Thanks.

I am wondering whether we should provide PQgetfloatvalue() which does
what that example shows but transparently. It will return a float
value of the given field instead of char *. That will standardize the
way to fetch real typed values in libpq. That leads to the next
question. Do we need to introduce different PQget*value() for standard
C/SQL data types.

-- 
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 3:12 AM Mark Wong <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Would adding additional examples to testlibpq3.c on handling more data
> types be helpful?  I've attached a patch adding how to handle a REAL to
> current example.
>
> Regards,
> Mark