Subject: Re: Function for listing pg_wal/summaries directory

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 10:07:10 +0900

On Fri, Oct 04, 2024 at 10:02:11AM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> Could you explain why you feel the existing support functions are
> insufficient?

Because it is not possible to outsource the scan of pg_wal/summaries/
to a different role, no?

On HEAD, one would require a full access to the data folder, as
pg_ls_waldir() does not recurse.  Perhaps, rather than introducing a
new function, we should just extend pg_ls_dir_files() so as it can
optionally recurse, then use this option in the existing
pg_ls_waldir() to show stats for pg_wal/ and pg_wal/summary/?  You'd
optinally need to print the relative path of the file in the output of
the function, meaning that any summary file in should be shown as
summaries/blah.summary.  Just an idea for the bucket of ideas.

This would be unconsistent with the existing
pg_ls_archive_statusdir(), though, so using a new function may be just
better and simpler.
--
Michael