Subject: Constant Splitting/Refactoring

From: David Christensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:57:48 -0600

As part of the reserved page space/page features[1] work, there is a need
to convert some of the existing constants into variables, since the size of
those will no longer be fixed at compile time.  At FOSDEM, there was some
interest expressed about seeing what a cleanup patch like that would look
like.

Enclosed is a series of cleanup patches for HEAD.  This splits each of the
4 constants that care about page size into Cluster-specific and -Limit
variants, the first intended to become a variable in time, and the second
being the maximum value such a variable may take (largely used for static
allocations).

Since these patches define these symbols to have the same values
they previously had, there are no changes in functionality.  These were
largely mechanical changes, and as such we should perhaps consider making
the same changes to back-branches to make it so context lines and the like
would be the same, simplifying maintainer's efforts when applying code in
back branches that touch similar areas.

The script I have to make these changes is simple, and could be run against
the back branches with only the comments surrounding Calc() pieces needing
to be adjusted once.

These were based on HEAD as a few minutes ago, 902900b308f, and pass all
tests.
Thanks,

David

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/3986/

---

From: David Christensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:42:19 -0500

Here is a version 2 of this patch, rebased atop 97d85be365.

As before, this is a cleanup/prerequisite patch series for the page
features/reserved page size patches[1].  (Said patch series is going
to be updated shortly.)

This splits each of the 4 constants that care about page size into
Cluster-specific and -Limit variants, the first intended to become a
variable in time, and the second being the maximum value such a
variable may take (largely used for static
allocations).

Since these patches define these symbols to have the same values they
previously had, there are no changes in functionality.  These were
largely mechanical changes, and as such we should perhaps consider
making the same changes to back-branches to make it so context lines
and the like
would be the same, simplifying maintainer's efforts when applying code
in back branches that touch similar areas.

The script I have to make these changes is simple, and could be run
against the back branches with only the comments surrounding Calc()
pieces needing
to be adjusted once.

Thanks,

David

---

From: Kirill Reshke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 17:26:01 +0500

> [1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/3986/

Hi! Your patchset needs a rebase. Are you going to push it forward?

Also, It is better to have more informative commit messages in patches.
-- 
Best regards,
Kirill Reshke