Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Add non-blocking version of PQcancel

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:33:30 +0100

On 2024-Mar-14, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 20:08, Jacob Champion
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I hit this on my machine. With the attached diff I can reproduce
> > constantly (including with the most recent test patch); I think the
> > cancel must be arriving between the bind/execute steps?
> 
> Nice find! Your explanation makes total sense. Attached a patchset
> that fixes/works around this issue by using the simple query protocol
> in the cancel test.

Hmm, isn't this basically saying that we're giving up on reliably
canceling queries altogether?  I mean, maybe we'd like to instead fix
the bug about canceling queries in extended query protocol ...
Isn't that something you're worried about?

-- 
Álvaro Herrera        Breisgau, Deutschland  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"World domination is proceeding according to plan"        (Andrew Morton)