Subject: Re: pgsql: Rename contrib module basic_archive to basic_wal_module

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 10:17:50 -0800

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:49:45PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:37 AM Michael Paquier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Rename contrib module basic_archive to basic_wal_module
> 
> FWIW, I find this new name much less clear than the old one.
> 
> If we want to provide a basic_archive module and a basic_recovery
> module, that seems fine. Why merge them?

I'll admit I've been stewing on whether "WAL Modules" is the right name.
My first instinct was to simply call it "Archive and Recovery Modules,"
which is longer but (IMHO) clearer.

I wanted to merge basic_archive and basic_recovery because there's a decent
chunk of duplicated code.  Perhaps that is okay, but I would rather just
have one test module.  AFAICT the biggest reason to split it is because we
can't determine a good name.  Maybe we could leave the name as
"basic_archive" since it deals with creating and recovering archive files.

-- 
Nathan Bossart
Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com