Subject: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From: Thomas F.O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:50:10 -0500

I'd love to see a comment added to the linux start-script included in 
contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because Debian 
has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will 
intelligently do the same thing as chkconfig for Debian systems.

If it's useful, I could post a patch, but since it's just a comment 
that would be sufficient (IMHO), it seemed like a post with request was 
also sufficient. :)

Something like:

# Debian users might want to consider using update-rc.d since Debian 
has its own set of runlevels.

Thanks!

-tfo

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:45:43 +0200

Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because
> Debian has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will

Why not just include the Debian start script instead of asking to user 
to fix up the existing one?

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Thomas F.O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:07:34 -0500

Sure. I didn't know there was a Debian start script. Because we 
frequently keep up with the latest changes in postgres (which we 
regularly use), I always build postgres from source. But that would be 
a perfectly acceptable solution.

-tfo