Subject: Detailed release notes

From: Marcos Pegoraro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 09:30:55 -0300

I'm now using version 14 and planning to update to 17 as soon as it comes
available. Then looking carefully to release notes to see exactly what I'll
get when updated I see lots of unexplained features. Just because release
notes does not explain exactly what that change does. And I don't have a
way to get what code or messages generated that feature.

   -

   Allow query nodes to be run in parallel in more cases (Tom Lane)
   Cool this feature, but when and what kind of query will use this ?
   -

   Improve EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes and output parameters (Tom
   Lane, Dean Rasheed)
   hmm, interesting, but what exactly ?

Everything that is done in Postgres is public, all messages and code are
available to anyone, but when I want to know what that feature is exactly
using release notes, I don't know how to find it.

I think it would be very interesting if we have on release notes what was
discussed for that change.

   -

   Allow query nodes to be run in parallel in more cases (Tom Lane) CF1
   <https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4798/> and CF2
   <https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/4810/>
   -

   Improve EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes and output parameters (Tom
   Lane, Dean Rasheed) CF1 <https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4782/>

And these CF links could point to commitfest or email messages or even a
detailed tutorial of that feature.

regards
Marcos