Subject: Re: Remove source code display from \df+?

From: Pavel Stehule <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:18:58 +0100

st 11. 1. 2023 v 17:50 odesílatel Isaac Morland <[email-masked]>
napsal:

> I find \df+ much less useful than it should be because it tends to be
> cluttered up with source code. Now that we have \sf, would it be reasonable
> to remove the source code from the \df+ display? This would make it easier
> to see function permissions and comments. If somebody wants to see the full
> definition of a function they can always invoke \sf on it.
>
> If there is consensus on the idea in principle I will write up a patch.
>

+1

Pavel

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:25:02 +0100

>> If there is consensus on the idea in principle I will write up a patch.
+1 but maybe with a twist. For any functions in a procedural language like
plpgsql, it makes it pretty useless today. But when viewing an internal or
C language function, it's short enough and still actually useful. Maybe
some combination where it would keep showing those for such language, but
would show "use \sf to view source" for procedural languages?

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: Pavel Stehule <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:30:40 +0100

> would show "use \sf to view source" for procedural languages?

yes, it is almost necessary for C functions or functions in external
languages. Maybe it can be specified in pg_language if prosrc is really
source code or some reference.