Subject: Re: Psql meta-command conninfo+

From: Dean Rasheed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 09:50:51 +0000

On Tue, 14 Jan 2025 at 08:51, Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 2025-Jan-14, Hunaid Sohail wrote:
>
> > I've tried the approach and attached the output.  Does this look good?
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I like the third column particularly; it's noisy to
> have on all the time.  I'd leave that for \conninfo++ maybe :-)
>

Yeah, I thought perhaps it might provide some useful extra
information, however...

> _If_ we keep the descriptions, I suggest that the majority need to be
> very short, say three words tops, with exceptions allowed for egregious
> cases (if any).  We should get rid of filler words such as "Displays
> the" or "Indicates whether".  For instance, I'd turn "Indicates if
> GSSAPI authentication was used for the connection" into "GSSAPI
> authenticated?" which conveys exactly the same; the ending "?" matches
> things like "Key?" in \d of an index or the "Default?" column in \dc.
> It's a boolean, so people know how to read it.
>

By the time the filler words have been stripped out, the description
isn't really adding any useful information that can't be guessed from
the parameter name and value. So I tend to agree that it should be
left out (for now at least).

Regards,
Dean