Subject: Re: psql JSON output format

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 14:00:12 -0400

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 11:35 AM Christoph Berg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Ack.

The last version of this patch was posted on January 22nd and got a
bunch of replies, so I'm marking
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/4707/ as Returned with Feedback
for now. Please feel free to update the status of the patch when the
situation changes.

IMHO, the big problem here is that different people want different
corner-case behaviors and it's not clear what to do about that. I
don't think there's a single vote for "don't do this at all". So if
there is a desire to take this work forward, the goal probably ought
to be to try to either (a) figure out one behavior that everyone can
live with or (b) figure out a short list of options that can be used
to customize the behavior to a degree that lets everyone get something
reasonably close to what they want. For instance, "what to do if you
find a SQL null" and "whether to include json values as strings or
json objects" seem like they could potentially be customizable. That's
probably not a silver bullet because (1) that's more work and (2)
there might be more behaviors than we want to code, or maintain the
code for, and (3) if it gets too complicated that can itself become a
source of objections. But it's an idea.

-- 
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com