Subject: Re: Missing can't-assign-to-constant checks in plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:57:55 -0400

Pavel Stehule <[email-masked]> writes:
> čt 28. 4. 2022 v 23:52 odesílatel Tom Lane <[email-masked]> napsal:
>> Perhaps the OPEN change is a little too aggressive, since if
>> you give the refcursor variable some non-null initial value,
>> OPEN won't change it; in that usage a CONSTANT marking could
>> be allowed.  But I really seriously doubt that anybody out
>> there is marking such variables as constants, so I thought
>> throwing the error at compile time was better than postponing
>> it to runtime so we could handle that.
>> 
>> Regardless of which way we handle that point, I'm inclined to
>> change this only in HEAD.  Probably people wouldn't thank us
>> for making the back branches more strict.

> +1

After sleeping on it, I got cold feet about breaking arguably
legal code, so I made OPEN check at runtime instead.  Which
was probably a good thing anyway, because it made me notice
that exec_stmt_forc() needed a check too.  AFAICS there are no
other places in pl_exec.c that are performing assignments to
variables not checked at parse time.

Pushed that way.

			regards, tom lane