Subject: pgsql: pgstat: Track more detailed relation IO statistics

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:24:44 +0000

pgstat: Track more detailed relation IO statistics

Commit 28e626bde00 introduced the infrastructure for tracking more detailed IO
statistics. This commit adds the actual collection of the new IO statistics
for relations and temporary relations. See aforementioned commit for goals and
high-level design.

The changes in this commit are fairly straight-forward. The bulk of the change
is to passing sufficient information to the callsites of pgstat_count_io_op().

A somewhat unsightly detail is that it currently is hard to find a better
place to count fsyncs than in md.c, whereas the other pgstat_count_io_op()
calls are in bufmgr.c/localbuf.c. As the number of fsyncs is tied to md.c
implementation details, it's not obvious there is a better answer.

Author: Melanie Plageman <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f30d62c2fc60acfa62d3b83a73dc9bf7f83cfe2f

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c   | 110 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/backend/storage/buffer/freelist.c |  58 +++++++++++++-----
src/backend/storage/buffer/localbuf.c |  13 +++-
src/backend/storage/smgr/md.c         |  24 ++++++++
src/include/storage/buf_internals.h   |   8 ++-
src/include/storage/bufmgr.h          |   7 ++-
6 files changed, 184 insertions(+), 36 deletions(-)