Subject: One-off with syscache ID in get_catalog_object_by_oid_extended()

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2026 07:30:21 +0900

Hi all,

While reviewing the syscache code, I have bumped into the following
funny bit in objectaddress.c:
    if (oidCacheId > 0)
    {
        if (locktup)
            tuple = SearchSysCacheLockedCopy1(oidCacheId,
                                              ObjectIdGetDatum(objectId));
        else
            tuple = SearchSysCacheCopy1(oidCacheId,
                                        ObjectIdGetDatum(objectId));
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(tuple))    /* should not happen */
            return NULL;
    }

This is wrong, because SysCacheIdentifier starts at 0.  This has no
consequence currently, because the first value in the enum is
AGGFNOID, something that we don't rely on for object type lookups.
Even if this code had the idea to use an ID of 0, the logic would just
get back to a systable lookup, that would still work, that's just less
efficient.

Simple patch attached, planned for a backpatch quickly as I am playing
with a different patch that reworks a bit this code.

Regards,
--
Michael
diff --git a/src/backend/catalog/objectaddress.c b/src/backend/catalog/objectaddress.c
index 02af64b82c68..198caf641a5e 100644
--- a/src/backend/catalog/objectaddress.c
+++ b/src/backend/catalog/objectaddress.c
@@ -2808,7 +2808,7 @@ get_catalog_object_by_oid_extended(Relation catalog,
 	Oid			classId = RelationGetRelid(catalog);
 	int			oidCacheId = get_object_catcache_oid(classId);
 
-	if (oidCacheId > 0)
+	if (oidCacheId >= 0)
 	{
 		if (locktup)
 			tuple = SearchSysCacheLockedCopy1(oidCacheId,

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2026 07:51:06 +0900

> with a different patch that reworks a bit this code.

Err, actually, with next week's release planned next week in mind,
I'll fix that only on HEAD.
--
Michael