Subject: Re: question regarding policy for patches to out-of-support branches

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2024 14:29:00 -0400

Joe Conway <[email-masked]> writes:
> I was having a discussion regarding out-of-support branches and effort 
> to keep them building, but could not for the life of me find any actual 
> documented policy (although I distinctly remember that we do something...).
> Is the policy written down somewhere, or is it only project lore? In 
> either case, what is the actual policy?

I believe our policy was set in this thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2923349.1634942313%40sss.pgh.pa.us

and you're right that it hasn't really been memorialized anywhere
else.  I'm not sure where would be appropriate.  Anyway, what
I think the policy is:

* Out-of-support versions back to (currently) 9.2 are still to be
kept buildable on modern toolchains.

* Build failures, regression failures, and easily-fixable compiler
warnings are candidates for fixes.

* We aren't too excited about code that requires external dependencies
(e.g. libpython) though, because those can be moving targets.

* Under no circumstances back-patch anything that changes external
behavior, as the point of the exercise is to be able to test against
the actual behavior of the last releases of these branches.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 10:25:26 +0200

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 8:29 PM Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:
> else.  I'm not sure where would be appropriate.

Not absolutely sure, but would at least adding a page to PostgreSQL
Wiki about this make sense ?

---
Hannu