Subject: Intermittent failure with t/003_logical_slots.pl test on windows

From: Nisha Moond <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 16:53:00 +0530

Hi hackers,

There is a failure with 't/003_logical_slots.pl' test during the
upgrade. The failure is intermittent and observed in the Windows
environment.

Details-
Test - pg_upgrade/t/003_logical_slots.pl
Result -
t/003_logical_slots.pl .. 5/?
#   Failed test 'run of pg_upgrade of old cluster'
#   at t/003_logical_slots.pl line 165.
t/003_logical_slots.pl .. 10/?
#   Failed test 'check the slot exists on new cluster'
#   at t/003_logical_slots.pl line 171.
#          got: ''
#     expected: 'regress_sub|t'
# Tests were run but no plan was declared and done_testing() was not seen.
# Looks like your test exited with 25 just after 11.
t/003_logical_slots.pl .. Dubious, test returned 25 (wstat 6400, 0x1900)
Failed 2/11 subtests

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/003_logical_slots.pl (Wstat: 6400 (exited 25) Tests: 11 Failed: 2)
  Failed tests:  10-11
  Non-zero exit status: 25
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
Files=1, Tests=11, 32 wallclock secs ( 0.03 usr +  0.01 sys =  0.05 CPU)
Result: FAIL

log attached - 'regress_log_003_logical_slots'.

The failure cause is  -
no data was returned by command
""D:/Project/pg1/postgres/tmp_install/bin/pg_resetwal" -V"
check for "D:/Project/pg1/postgres/tmp_install/bin/pg_resetwal"
failed: cannot execute

Failure, exiting
[16:24:21.144](6.275s) not ok 10 - run of pg_upgrade of old cluster

If the same command is run manually, it succeeds -

>"D:/Project/pg1/postgres/tmp_install/bin/pg_resetwal" -V
pg_resetwal (PostgreSQL) 17devel

The same test failure (intermittent) is also seen with different
commands like pg_ctl  and pg_dump as failure cause while retrieving
version -
Ex -
no data was returned by command
""D:/Project/pg1/postgres/tmp_install/bin/pg_dump" -V"
check for "D:/Project/pg1/postgres/tmp_install/bin/pg_dump" failed:
cannot execute

Failure, exiting
[16:08:50.444](7.434s) not ok 10 - run of pg_upgrade of old cluster

Has anyone come across this issue? I am not sure what is the issue here.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nisha Moond