Subject: Re: "duplicated" wait events

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 14:46:34 +0900 (JST)

At Fri, 4 Aug 2023 17:07:51 +0200, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <[email-masked]> wrote in 
> SynRep currently appears in "IPC" and "LWLock" (see [2])
> WALWrite currently appears in "IO" and "LWLock" (see [2])
> 
> I think that can lead to confusion and it would be better to avoid
> duplicate wait event
> name across Wait Class (and so fix those 2 ones above), what do you
> think?

I think it would be handy to be able to summirize wait events by event
names, instead of classes. In other words, grouping wait events
through all classes according to their purpose. From that perspective,
I'm rather fan of consolidating event names (that is, the opposite of
your proposal).

However, it seems the event weren't named with this consideration. So
I'm on the fence about this change.

By the way, I couldn't figure out how to tag event names without
messing up the source tree. This causes meson to refuse a build..

regards.

-- 
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center