Subject: Re: Generate pg_stat_get_xact*() functions with Macros

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:23:38 +0900

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 08:54:13AM +0200, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> Yes, something like V1 up-thread was doing. I think it can be added with your current proposal.

Sure, I can write that.  Or perhaps you'd prefer write something
yourself?
--
Michael

---

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:11:21 +0200

> Sure, I can write that.  Or perhaps you'd prefer write something

Please find attached V2 adding pg_stat_get_xact_function_total_time()
and pg_stat_get_xact_function_self_time() to the party.

Regards,

-- 
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases
Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com

diff --git a/src/backend/utils/adt/pgstatfuncs.c b/src/backend/utils/adt/pgstatfuncs.c
index e1dd1e0ad3..d0bf61cc64 100644
--- a/src/backend/utils/adt/pgstatfuncs.c
+++ b/src/backend/utils/adt/pgstatfuncs.c
@@ -152,29 +152,26 @@ pg_stat_get_function_calls(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
 	PG_RETURN_INT64(funcentry->numcalls);
 }
 
-Datum
-pg_stat_get_function_total_time(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
-{
-	Oid			funcid = PG_GETARG_OID(0);
-	PgStat_StatFuncEntry *funcentry;
-
-	if ((funcentry = pgstat_fetch_stat_funcentry(funcid)) == NULL)
-		PG_RETURN_NULL();
-	/* convert counter from microsec to millisec for display */
-	PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(((double) funcentry->total_time) / 1000.0);
-}
-
-Datum
-pg_stat_get_function_self_time(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
-{
-	Oid			funcid = PG_GETARG_OID(0);
-	PgStat_StatFuncEntry *funcentry;
-
-	if ((funcentry = pgstat_fetch_stat_funcentry(funcid)) == NULL)
-		PG_RETURN_NULL();
-	/* convert counter from microsec to millisec for display */
-	PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(((double) funcentry->self_time) / 1000.0);
-}
+/* convert counter from microsec to millisec for display */
+#define PG_STAT_GET_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(stat)						\
+Datum																\
+CppConcat(pg_stat_get_function_,stat)(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)				\
+{																	\
+	Oid			funcid = PG_GETARG_OID(0);							\
+	double		result;												\
+	PgStat_StatFuncEntry *funcentry;								\
+																	\
+	if ((funcentry = pgstat_fetch_stat_funcentry(funcid)) == NULL)	\
+		PG_RETURN_NULL();											\
+	result = ((double) funcentry->stat) / 1000.0;					\
+	PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(result);										\
+}
+
+/* pg_stat_get_function_total_time */
+PG_STAT_GET_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(total_time)
+
+/* pg_stat_get_function_self_time */
+PG_STAT_GET_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(self_time)
 
 Datum
 pg_stat_get_backend_idset(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
@@ -1147,7 +1144,8 @@ pg_stat_get_db_checksum_last_failure(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
 		PG_RETURN_TIMESTAMPTZ(result);
 }
 
-#define PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8(stat)						\
+/* convert counter from microsec to millisec for display */
+#define PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(stat)						\
 Datum															\
 CppConcat(pg_stat_get_db_,stat)(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)				\
 {																\
@@ -1164,19 +1162,19 @@ CppConcat(pg_stat_get_db_,stat)(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)				\
 }
 
 /* pg_stat_get_db_active_time */
-PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8(active_time)
+PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(active_time)
 
 /* pg_stat_get_db_blk_read_time */
-PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8(blk_read_time)
+PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(blk_read_time)
 
 /* pg_stat_get_db_blk_write_time */
-PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8(blk_write_time)
+PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(blk_write_time)
 
 /* pg_stat_get_db_idle_in_transaction_time */
-PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8(idle_in_transaction_time)
+PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(idle_in_transaction_time)
 
 /* pg_stat_get_db_session_time */
-PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8(session_time)
+PG_STAT_GET_DBENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(session_time)
 
 Datum
 pg_stat_get_bgwriter_timed_checkpoints(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
@@ -1609,28 +1607,23 @@ pg_stat_get_xact_function_calls(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
 	PG_RETURN_INT64(funcentry->numcalls);
 }
 
-Datum
-pg_stat_get_xact_function_total_time(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
-{
-	Oid			funcid = PG_GETARG_OID(0);
-	PgStat_FunctionCounts *funcentry;
-
-	if ((funcentry = find_funcstat_entry(funcid)) == NULL)
-		PG_RETURN_NULL();
-	PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(INSTR_TIME_GET_MILLISEC(funcentry->total_time));
-}
-
-Datum
-pg_stat_get_xact_function_self_time(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
-{
-	Oid			funcid = PG_GETARG_OID(0);
-	PgStat_FunctionCounts *funcentry;
+#define PG_STAT_GET_XACT_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(stat)				\
+Datum															\
+CppConcat(pg_stat_get_xact_function_,stat)(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)	\
+{																\
+	Oid			funcid = PG_GETARG_OID(0);						\
+	PgStat_FunctionCounts *funcentry;							\
+																\
+	if ((funcentry = find_funcstat_entry(funcid)) == NULL)		\
+		PG_RETURN_NULL();										\
+	PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(INSTR_TIME_GET_MILLISEC(funcentry->stat));	\
+}																\
 
-	if ((funcentry = find_funcstat_entry(funcid)) == NULL)
-		PG_RETURN_NULL();
-	PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(INSTR_TIME_GET_MILLISEC(funcentry->self_time));
-}
+/* pg_stat_get_xact_function_total_time */
+PG_STAT_GET_XACT_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(total_time)
 
+/* pg_stat_get_xact_function_self_time */
+PG_STAT_GET_XACT_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS(self_time)
 
 /* Get the timestamp of the current statistics snapshot */
 Datum

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 19:08:51 +0900

> and pg_stat_get_xact_function_self_time() to the party.

The patch has one mistake: PG_STAT_GET_XACT_FUNCENTRY_FLOAT8_MS does
not need a slash on its last line or it would include the next, empty
line.  This could lead to mistakes (no need to send a new patch just
for that).
--
Michael

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 07:41:48 +0900

> line.  This could lead to mistakes (no need to send a new patch just

Adjusted that, and the rest was fine after a second look, so applied.
It looks like we are done for now with this thread, so I have marked
it as committed in the CF app.
--
Michael

---

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 07:19:53 +0200

> it as committed in the CF app.

Thanks for having corrected the mistake and applied the patch!

Regards,