Subject: PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: The Hermit Hacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:22:12 -0500 (EST)

I just finally got a copy of that article in Linux Journal (wow, they even
spelt my name right!)...I think the first paragraph, in itself, is most
comical:

	"...it is now developed similarly to Linux"

Now, those that have been around here for *any* stretch of time know that
we aren't even *remotely* close to the way that Linux is being developed,
with those having suggested us doing that having it, I would imagine, dug
in quite deeply :)

Still have to read the whole article, but so far (other then that one
"slight" in the first paragraph *bait material here*), it looks pretty
good :)

---

From: "Thomas G. Lockhart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 03:06:57 +0000

> "slight" in the first paragraph *bait material here*), it looks pretty

It's OK Marc, us linux'ists weren't offended _too_ much by that quote :))

fwiw, I think he was drawing an analogy with the whole web/net thing, ya
know, as opposed to the floppy disk mailings you BSDers use *ducks head*

                                          - Tom

---

From: The Hermit Hacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:35:37 -0400 (AST)

> It's OK Marc, us linux'ists weren't offended _too_ much by that quote :))

	I'm such a trouble maker, but I find most Linux'ers such easy easy
prey *grin*  I have this University full of Linux'ers that you can spark
up just with a comment like "Linux != Unix"...which, it isn't, its a
Unix-like clone...but they can't seem to figure the distinction *rofl*

> know, as opposed to the floppy disk mailings you BSDers use *ducks head*

	*hrmmm*??  floppy disk maillings?  Now, which camp came up with
CVSup again? *raised eyebrows*  We have up to the minute access to any
kernel changes...and you guys?  How often? *grin*

Marc G. Fournier                                
Systems Administrator @ hub.org 
primary: [email-masked]           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 20:06:32 -0800 (PST)

>From what I understand, postgres development is more like BSD
development than it it like linux development.  With Linux kernels,
new versions may come out two in one day.  With BSD, there are periods
of internal development followed by a big release.  Postgres has the
daily snapshot, but these are intended for developers, and each new
one is not considered a new version of the program.

In that Postgres is developed over the net by a volunteer effort, I
would say they are similar.

Ocie Mitchell