Subject: add list of major features to the v19 release notes

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2026 16:38:14 -0500

Here's a first try at $subject.  I used the 19beta1 announcement as a
guide.

-- 
nathan

---

From: Michael Banck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2026 13:15:39 +0200

Hi,

yay for having this in place earlier this time.

Some comments:

On Wed, Jul 01, 2026 at 04:38:14PM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> +    <listitem>
> +     <para>
> +      Logical replication now
> +      <link linkend="logical-replication-sequences">replicates sequence values</link>,
> +      and it can be enabled without a server restart when
> +      <xref linkend="guc-wal-level"/> is set to <literal>replica</literal>.
> +     </para>
> +    </listitem>

Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but I tripped over the
second part and parsed it as a function of the replicate sequence
values, not logical replication. Would it help readers to drop the "it",
i.e. write "and can be enabled [...]"?

> +    <listitem>
> +     <para>
> +      Faster performance in many areas, including automatic scaling of the
> +      number of <link linkend="guc-io-max-workers">I/O worker processes</link>,
> +      quicker foreign-key checks, and further planning and execution
> +      optimizations.
> +     </para>
> +    </listitem>

(This is kinda a catch-all statement and might go well as last item,
dunno).

> +    <listitem>
> +     <para>
> +      Data checksums can now be
> +      <link linkend="checksums-online-enable-disable">enabled or disabled while the database is running</link>.
> +     </para>
> +    </listitem>

I think we still don't say "the database" when we talk about a
server/instance/cluster. It should either be "the cluster" or "the
database server".

> +    <listitem>
> +     <para>
> +      <xref linkend="sql-update"/> and <xref linkend="sql-delete"/> can now
> +      change or remove data for just part of a time range via the new
> +      <literal>FOR PORTION OF</literal> clause.
> +     </para>
> +    </listitem>

I think this sentence should include something about temporal
ranges/keys, or maybe just s/time range/temporal range/?

Michael

---

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2026 09:36:46 -0500

> i.e. write "and can be enabled [...]"?

Fixed.

> (This is kinda a catch-all statement and might go well as last item,

Moved.

> server/instance/cluster. It should either be "the cluster" or "the

Fixed.

> ranges/keys, or maybe just s/time range/temporal range/?

How about something like this?

    Support for temporal updates and deletes via the new FOR PORTION OF
    clause.

-- 
nathan