Subject: Patch for Postmaster Uptime (from the TODO)

From: "Eric Crampton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:49:00 -0800 (PST)

Hello hackers,

I noticed in the TODO that there is an item requesting a function which
returns the uptime of the postmaster. I've wanted that as well. So, I've
added just such a thing: server_start_time(). This function returns the
time when the postmaster was started; a simple now() - server_start_time()
returns the uptime.

The below patches are for four files:

* postmaster.c: Now calls a new function, MarkServerStartTime(), before
calling ServerLoop().

* timestamp.h/timestamp.c: New functions: MarkServerStartTime() (called
from postmaster.c) and server_start_time(), a new SQL function which may
be called.

* pg_proc.h: Added DATA and DESCR to the very end of the list (OID=2557)
for the server_start_time function.

I didn't bother to include the generated fmgroids.h and fmgrtab.c. Since
they are small, I've attached the four unified diffs against the 8.0.1
code. Let me know if there's anything different the code should have done.

--Eric

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:38:50 -0500

> time when the postmaster was started; a simple now() - server_start_time()

Isn't there one of these in the patch queue already?

The patch as given won't work on Windows, because it depends on fork
inheritance of the value.  I think the previous patcher fixed that.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:48:21 -0500 (EST)

> Isn't there one of these in the patch queue already?

Yes.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073