Subject: [PATCH v2 1/1] pgindent: Fix spacing after != when member name matches typedef.

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2026 11:02:22 -0500

When a struct member name matches a registered typedef, pgindent
removes the space after "!=" (and some other operators), like so:

    entry->dsh.dsa_handle !=DSA_HANDLE_INVALID

The problem is that the related code in lexi.c sets last_u_d to
true before jumping to found_typename, causing the next operator to
be classified as unary and suppressing the following space.  This
is correct for type names, but not for struct members.  For
example, "Datum *x" needs "*" to be unary to suppress the space
before "x".  To fix, only set last_u_d before jumping to
found_typename if the typedef name doesn't appear after "." or
"->".

Note that this does not bump INDENT_VERSION.  We'll do that just
once after some other changes to pg_bsd_indent are committed.

Reviewed-by: Chao Li <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/aS9hkwnkWf3dZIA_%40nathan
---
 src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/lexi.c | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/lexi.c b/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/lexi.c
index 943bf7ce6b0..e846188d6f4 100644
--- a/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/lexi.c
+++ b/src/tools/pg_bsd_indent/lexi.c
@@ -363,7 +363,8 @@ lexi(struct parser_state *state)
 		  bsearch(s_token, typenames, typename_top + 1,
 		    sizeof(typenames[0]), strcmp_type))) {
 		state->keyword = 4;	/* a type name */
-		state->last_u_d = true;
+		if (state->last_token != period && state->last_token != unary_op)
+		    state->last_u_d = true;
 	        goto found_typename;
 	    }
 	} else {			/* we have a keyword */
-- 
2.50.1 (Apple Git-155)

--1t/m2eK+hqhKaVEb--