Subject: How to insert default value with libpq?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:02:38 +0200

Hello,

I would like to insert the default value for a field with libpq, but
inserting null or "default" doesn’t work.

I attached a simple example also available here
https://gitlab.com/snippets/1970590

Is it possible?

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 16:25:48 +0200

> inserting null or "default" doesn’t work.

You cannot represent that using query parameters (PQexecParams).  Query 
parameters always mean, use this rather than the default value.

To do what you want either write DEFAULT or leave off the column 
altogether, for example

     INSERT INTO test (id) VALUES (DEFAULT)

but this needs to be pasted into the query string, not passed as a 
parameter.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:59:31 +0200

> but this needs to be pasted into the query string, not passed as a

Fine, thank you for your help!